A to Z Challenge 2013

Friday, April 20, 2012

Q is for Quixotic

Now that we're on the letter Q (one of my favorite letters), the first word I thought of was Quixotic, which means:

foolishly impractical, particularly in the pursuit of ideals; marked by rash lofty romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action

You might say this word describes the hopeless romantic, to the extreme.  In another sense, you could think of someone who is quixotic as being impossibly idealistic.  I thought about why I like this word so much, and aside from the meaning (I don't think any idealistic thinking is foolish, nor is any level of chivalrous action rash), I really like the fact that there's a Q and an X in one word.  It's just cool.

What do you think of this word?  Any other interesting Q words you'd like to share?

4 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

I've always like this word too - I mean it's got a q and a x in it :) Plus it's got a nice sound to it as well :)

Sarah McCabe said...

I think this is one of the most fun words to say.

Rick Daley said...

For Q-words I like, this is a good one. Also, quagmire.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I rather like Quixotic. Sometimes it feels like I am tilting windmills myself.

I am trying to read all the A to Z blogs, but coming back to the ones I really like.
Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

Tim
The Other Side
The Freedom of Nonbelief