A to Z Challenge 2013

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blog Chain - Embrace The Darkness

It's blog chain time again and this round's question is brought to us by the awesome Margie (and the letter D, the number 4, and the letter K).  She asks:

How do you get in the mindset of your genre? Do you research people or facts? Do you just reach into the recesses of your mind for events that would make a good story? Something else?”

My preferred genre is suspense or horror, so that puts me into the weird (and possibly in need of direct observation) category.  Getting into the mood to write in this genre however, is sometimes difficult.  I hover on the edge of it until unexpectedly the darkness grabs me and I'm able to write some truly wild stuff.  I suppose it should bother me that the best stuff I write is when I'm truly being diabolical or psychotic or imagining things that are usually best left alone.

I probably could do research for my stories, but I've found that the best ideas I come up with are those that creep along the back of my mind, waiting for me to notice them.  When I do feel that chill down my back, I make sure I write the idea down though.  It doesn't happen all the time, so I try to grab the tiger by the tail whenever it does.

Incidentally, I often write outside of my chosen genre.  The reason for that is I'm trying to find my groove.  I'm trying to fully embrace the darkness and stay there until the writing is done.  But sometimes a story pops into my head and I just can't ignore it, even if it isn't in the genre I'd rather be known for.

If you haven't had a chance to stop by my wonderful bud Michelle H's post, get on over there.  Tomorrow Michelle M. will finish up this round with what will probably be a truly revealing answer (no pressure Michelle, heh heh).  And how do you get in the mindset of your genre?  Let me know in the comments.

12 comments:

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

I think writing horror would be the hardest genre to get into because I'd constantly be freaking myself out.

Every little bump or sound of the house settling would put me on edge. Heck, I have a hard time falling asleep after watching Paranormal State. :-)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again....

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Observation? I've got my eye on you...

Eric said...

Kat - Heh heh, yeah I freak myself out sometimes. That's when I know the writing is good.

Sandra - That's AWESOME. I may just have to borrow it!

Alex - Uh oh. Um, I didn't really mean it. I swear...

Wanton Redhead Writing said...

Just found your blog.

I don't really get into the genre of what I write, I follow into my character. I embrace the psychotic and neurotic.

Eric said...

Wanton - Sounds like a good plan. I'm a fan of embracing your muse, wherever that may come from. Thanks for stopping by.

Shrinky said...

I have had to do some research for my recent WIP, but whether fact or fantasy, we all need to climb into the head of our character's, and that sometimes necessitates getting ugly and downright dirty!

(Scuttling off to wash my hands in antiseptic lotion..)

Eric said...

Shrinky - Getting into the heads of my characters is a task I'm still working on. I'm getting better though :)

Michelle H. said...

Embrace the power of the dark side...

*imagine Darth Vader voice*

Auto Title Loans said...

I agree with Kat, I don't think I could do horror. I can't even watch a scary movie without running away! I get into my genre by thinking out loud, but I most write about my experiences anyway (with a twist.) I think the best way is to just go with your gut :)
Ava

Auto Lease Broker Los Angeles said...

First off, that picture is super creepy. Lol. Secondly, that's a good point about trying out writing for different genres, to help try and find your 'groove.' I hadn't thought of that, I felt like I was kind of confined to the type of writing I wanted to do...I'll have to try this method.

Furniture Stores in Los Angeles said...

I don't write dark things but I have noticed that my roommate loves to watch unsolved mysteries and other shows like that... I bet that watching something like that would help anyone get in that scary mind frame.