A to Z Challenge 2013

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Orrery

My first choice for an O word would have been Onomatopoeia, but I can see too many people picking that one (and I haven't met anyone yet who hadn't at least heard of the word).  Instead I have chosen a word that is pretty hard to say clearly five times fast, namely Orrery:


A mechanical model of the solar system that allows one to move the various planets around at their correct velocities around the sun


Okay, how many of you sat there trying to say it five times?  It's not that easy, at least to say it intelligibly.  It's a neat word though, and it's a tool I have always thought would be awesome to have in a large scale.  Remember the movie The Dark Crystal?  I loved that huge model Aughra used for their own solar system.  It was so cool looking and I imagined how much fun it'd be to hang out in that room watching it move around.


Any other images this word conjures for anyone?

6 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

They had one of these in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, too. Great O post!

Eric said...

Oooh, that's right. I completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me, Matt.

Rick Daley said...

The Dark Crystal was a great movie!

Last time I was at the beach in Destin, FL I wanted to make a scale model of the solar system in the sand, but I realized that if I made the sun the size of a basketball the earth would probably be somewhere around Tampa, and I didn't want to have to drive 5 hours to complete my sculpture.

nutschell said...

ooh! I love learning new words. Thanks!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Happy A-Zing!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I haven't seen The Dark Crystal, but I think I'll give it a try.

Patricia

Joseph said...

I conjured the same image of the planet model in the crazy muppets orreryarium. Very cool scene.

You know who would approve of all these words? Stephen R. Donaldson. Oh, and Faulkner. I would be afraid to use most of them, but I love the sound of monotroch.