A to Z Challenge 2013

Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Niveous

Today's word is the first one I've chosen specifically because of how cool it would be to use in a written passage.  The word is Niveous and it means:

to be snowy white, to resemble snow


This word just sounds so cool.  You can imagine using it in some descriptive passage, creating the imagery in the reader's mind with just this one word.  Yes, I am aware of the "rule" about using a complex or obscure word when a simple will do.  It's a big no-no.  But c'mon, this word flows easily off the tongue.  Here, let me show you what I mean:

Mekur slipped down the pathway, his bare scaly feet moving in silent rhythm.  His amber eyes took on a grayish hue as they pierced the forest ahead.  Movement in the clearing made him pause, pointed ears straining to verify what his eyes couldn't.  With one hand holding an ash bow, he crept forward ever so slightly.   One younger guarded by at least one adult stamped around nervously, possibly smelling Mekur despite his upwind position.  Or maybe they just sensed the door to oblivion opening, the way an old tiger knows when its time has come.


He nocked a shaft with careful precision, pushing a branch aside to aim.   A shot just beneath the male's single horn would end it.  The mare would be too startled to react, giving him time for the second shot as well.  And the colt...he would taste its flesh tonight over darkened flame.  Their brilliant hue hurt his eyes, but not for much longer.  The beasts startled and the male reared up on hind legs, striking out with ivory hooves in mock battle.  Mekur stumbled blind as they galloped away, a niveous wave of purity and magic.  As he shook off the effects, his mood darkened.  Master would not be pleased.  In fact, it might be he who would be going through that door instead.


Okay, so I made everyone wait a bit before using the word itself, but I guess that's just how my muse works.  Anyone else have thoughts on this cool word?

2 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

I agree that's a very cool sounding word. I'm a tight writer who's trying to write page turners, so I don't dare use anything that will stop a reader and yank him out of the story. I miss out on using lots of cool words. Maybe I'll have to try something more ambitious one of these days.

Patricia

Rick Daley said...

I wish I would have known that word when I was writing THE MAN IN THE CINDER CLOUDS. I'm sure I could have worked it in, given so much of the story takes place at the North Pole.