A to Z Challenge 2013

Thursday, April 16, 2009

WIP Writer's Challenge Totals - Week 1

Well, one week has gone by and I've managed to write every day. I had set a goal to get 500 words per day, and I'm very proud to announce I SLAMMED that goal to shreds. On only one day did I fall below 1000 words (I only managed 708 that day), which is just awesome. I would never have imagined I could write 1000 words in a day, let alone for an entire week. The grand total I've managed to create is 8220 words! That brings my WIP up to a grand total of 42,923 words completed. Holy Cow! Just typing that number sends chills down my spine. The first draft is just about completed, and then I have to go back to doing research because there is so much I have yet to add. I have to re-do the 1st chapter in a very big way, because many helpful people have pointed out major flaws that need to be fixed.

Week two for the writing challenge has begun today, and I am setting myself a higher goal of 1000 words per day. I know I can do it, and I want to continue to challenge myself and get this book ready. I will be honest; its been incredibly difficult to change my habits, sit down, and just write every day. I am not used to this (well, I guess I am now), but I know that this is what I have to do if I want to hone my craft and become an exceptional author. Everyone in the Writer's Challenge has been incredible with their support, with working on their own goals, and just being a great group of people. Thanks to everyone, and hopefully you'll all keep posting the huge numbers you've managed all last week. Lastly, thanks go once more to Elana at Mindless Musings for starting this challenge. I might have been able to get in this mode by myself (maybe), but you started this and helped me get off my duff. Keep checking back everyone; I plan on keeping to this goal until I have finished my WIP completely. Who knows, maybe I'll be writing 2000 words per day at some point. I can't imagine doing that much, but I didn't imagine being able to do this many either. Everybody stand up and do a little shimmy shake. I know I will.

7 comments:

The Screaming Guppy said...

I will be honest; its been incredibly difficult to change my habits, sit down, and just write every day. I am not used to this (well, I guess I am now), but I know that this is what I have to do if I want to hone my craft and become an exceptional authorThat right there is the hard part. Once you prove you can make the time, it becomes easier to make yourself do it.

Grats on the awesome week.

P.S. How do you feel about Diet Coke with Lime? Perfection or corruption?

Jennifer said...

Wow, Eric, that's awesome! When I'm writing instead of editing, I usually try to get in 1.5 K per day. But, then again, I'm the freak who finished NaNoWriMo in 13 days. :D
Congrats on the awesomeness!

Dolly said...

Congratulations. Now that you can know you can do it, it will push you more to continue doing it. Good luck.

Eric said...

Screaming Guppy - Diet Coke With Lime is Perfection. I hate when I go somewhere and they don't have any either. Communists! Oh, oops.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Eric that is awesome! I am loving it! I am just going through my first chapter of my new revisions after it was critiqued! It looks rough I'm not going to lie but it's def. for the best!

I know that's the great thing about having other fellow writers input as you mentioned you need to work out some flaws. At first I was terrified to have someone else check my work but now it's so natural I wish I would have done it sooner! Keep up the great writing! Slammed it you did for SURE!

Davin Malasarn said...

Excellent work! Congratulations! Once you get into the habit of writing every day, you'll find that you'll want to do it, you'll prefer to do it. Then it becomes an addiction. :) I feel the need to write almost every day. I don't set any word count goals, but it helps me just to make sure I'm in front of my computer with an open document in front of me.

Liana Brooks said...

It takes 30 days to make a habit, and 3 to break it. Don't quit!!!