A to Z Challenge 2013

Monday, April 6, 2009

Inspiration From Unlikely Sources

Its really fun when inspiration hits me. I can be sitting in traffic, browsing the 'Net, or just watching a tv show. And then it hits me. An idea, a spurious thought out of nothing. The electricity of the idea resonates throughout me, and I can't get it put down on paper quick enough.

Such a thing happened to me yesterday evening as I was playing Rockband 2 with my son. A certain band came on with a certain song, and like magic, the idea for my character change in A Moment To Breathe leaped into my head. It was amazing and exciting, and I was quickly wishing the song we were playing was over so that I could crank open the laptop and get the idea down immediately. I calmly advised my son that I would need to stop playing, but inside I was boiling over with energy and anticipation of where I could go with things.

Before I knew it, I had crafted over 500 words and the background for this newly re-done character was becoming reality. Since then, the storyline involving this character has advanced with a life of its own. Thoughts pop into my head about where to go with it at odd and random moments, and I have to remind myself to take mental notes of every detail (note to self, keep notebook on you from now on). No matter how many times it happens to me, I'm always amazed when inspiration strikes and the writer's juices really begin to flow. I don't know whats more amazing - the randomness of ideas coming from obscure or unexpected places or the level of energy it gives me to write. Either way, the outcome is good for both my writing and myself. My best stuff always comes when I am engaged like this, so the rule is to grab it by the horns and hold as long as possible. Excuse me while I get back to the literary rodeo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric - I wanted to inform you that you are the winner of the M.L. St. Sure Interview contest. You won a free copy of her debut novel "Evensong."

When you get the time please e-mail me your address and I will send it to you ASAP.

Congratulations
Brian
The New Author

Michelle H. said...

It's great to hear that things are working out with the revamped character! Buy TONS of notebooks.

Eric said...

Michelle - EXACTLY! Whats bad is, I actually bought a stack of notebooks the last time the wife and I were in the dollar store. But they are sitting on my desk rather than having one on me at all times. Doh! Lesson learned though.