A to Z Challenge 2013

Friday, April 3, 2009

Drastic Changes

I spent alot of time thinking about where to go with my WIP, particularly given the feedback from people on here as well as thoughts from the most important critic - my wife. I've decided that the best thing to do is to go back and change a character, and now I feel the angst other authors have expressed over their works. Tearing out the guts of a character that I have come to really enjoy writing about is just hell, not to mention that I haven't completely decided what type of person I am going to re-make him into. Ahhh, the fun of being a prospective author.

I have also decided to pick a set time in my day that I sit down to write. What I have been doing in the past consisted of writing when "inspiration" hit me, but that obviously is not going to get the book done. So its time I got things organized. I checked on the wordcount of my book (a new and foreign concept to me, counting words) and its just shy of 40K. Since I'm about halfway though the story, it should end up being somewhere around 80K for a first draft. Then I have to go back through and do some serious editing, since I have left alot of details out and have tried to concentrate on just telling the gist of the story. There are alot of minor characters that I have to decide what to do with, since I don't want to detract from the story any more than necessary.

1 comment:

Angie Ledbetter said...

You're wise to quit waiting for Inspiration to strike. She's a fickle muse. Good too that you're getting the story out before the evil editor takes over.

Good luck! I'm revising my 80K ms too. Gark.