A to Z Challenge 2013

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Here Comes Draft 2

I sat down this afternoon and took a completely different perspective on my story. My hopes are that this new opening will have a bit more impact and hook the reader a great deal more. It feels pretty good, and the story is coming along in this different vein rather well. I got over 1000 words done, and I have some new ideas on how to tie everything together, including how to tie it into the old words in draft 1.

On another note, I'm writing a review of the book Evensong by M.L. St. Sure, which Brian at The New Author has offered to publish on his site. So keep your eyes peeled, because I should have it to him tomorrow. I am going to see if I can manage an interview with the author, but we'll see if I'm lucky enough to do that. What I can say (without saying too much) is that this book is incredible, one you must read. I also found alot of really good techniques in it that I intend to learn from to improve my own writing.

That last statement is interesting when I think about it, because my reading techniques have changed a bit since I started writing. I have always enjoyed reading, but I haven't usually noticed sentence structure or use of imagery. I enjoy what good authors do of course, but lately I've noticed that I go back of things and take a good look at how the imagery is formed or how an author writes. Dialog is one area where I pay attention more, since this is an area I feel really weak. Anyway, I won't stay on my soapbox any longer (see, I am working on concise writing). Its a good start to another week in the writer's challenge, and I'm back in the zone. Good luck to all of you who challenging yourselves as well.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey, guess what? You've been nominated for a blog award! :D http://astheplotthickens.blogspot.com/2009/04/when-life-gives-ya-lemons.html

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm reading a new book now and I find myself paying attention to her words, her structure, her repitions everything! I never use to that!

I have good dialogue I think but I lack activity during it! I always thought it would just be mumbo jumbo BUT it really helps bring the story to life. I'm still working on it but don't be afraid to show what their hands are doing, or attitude movements like hands on her hips, etc. Also I suck at keeping the same tense...ahh so frustrating!

Keep at it! I'm converting my novel to an adult audience now, so I now it can be tough rewriting at some parts but well worth it! We'll get there and look back and say "Why didn't I just do this from the beginning?"

Unknown said...

One of the best lessons I got when I was getting my B.A. in English (from a professor that I could not stand at the time, but I've since realized that he taught me more than anyone else ... it always seems to be that way :0)) was the value of writing about your own writing.

Professor F. would assign us papers where we had to critically attack our own pieces in a formal analysis. We were not allowed to use "I thought" or "When I wrote this, I'd had a little too much to drink" or whatever. No, it had to be, "The author of these pieces ..." or some other formal approach.

It was PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

But whenever I read your blog, it reminds me of Professor F., and I just wanted to pass on that you do automatically all the things that I had to have drilled into me--writing about your writing, understanding the process of writing, thinking of writing as a muscle that needs to be exercised daily, sharing your writing (I'm HORRIBLE about that ... getting my first novel to literary agents was sheer torture for me).

So just keep doing what you're doing, and things will work out : )