A to Z Challenge 2013

Friday, August 5, 2011

Tidal Wave Of Inspiration



Although this isn't the official video for the song, I like it.  The song is Tidal Wave by Owl City, and it's just one of those songs that hits a nerve with me (in a good way).  The last verse particularly echoes a lot of what I think goes through our minds as we writers struggle against doubt and fear.

After yesterday's soapbox post, I thought it appropriate to put up something that hopefully will raise everyone's inspiration level and help you knock that doubt to the floor.  Owl City is a band that I listen to often when I'm writing, because it's very soothing to the soul.  That allows me to concentrate on the words rather than listen to that inner voice telling me what I can't do.

If you haven't heard of the band before, I'd advise you to check them out.  While some of their lyrics are a little...odd...the music is very melodic and can be helpful when you need that type of atmosphere.  The other song you absolutely have to listen to is Saltwater Cave.  Owl City is awesome in it, but the performance of Breanne Duren on the song is what makes it so spectacular.  She has such a distinct quality to her voice, incomparable to anyone else.

I wish everyone a nice weekend, but before you go, what do you listen to while you're writing?

2 comments:

DEZMOND said...

Although I don't like all of their songs, (or is it HIS songs? I never knew whether it's a band or just one guy) I do love their lyrics, they always have great images in their texts.

Katrina L. Lantz said...

I haven't heard this song. Is that shocking? I like all the metaphors worked in uniquely. And of course the voice! I always like someone who can sing filling my ears. When I write, though, I listen to instrumental because lyrics mess with my own words.

Thanks for the inspirational/rockin song.