A to Z Challenge 2013

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Riding Is Like Writing...And Visa Versa

Yesterday I joined a memorial ride for the flight crews whose lives were taken on 9/11.  It was a 100 mile ride with no stops.  I rode through rain, over slick roads, surrounded by 150-200 bikers who have ridden all their lives.  In the end, we returned to the Colorado National Speedway where the day had begun, only to ride right on the track, do a few laps, and be part of the memorial ceremony.  The experience was a unique first for me, and though I was sore at the end of the day (and still am a little), I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

There were a few firsts that happened for me yesterday though.  For one, riding with so many experienced bikers was challenging since I often rode side by side with them rather than in a staggered formation like I'm used to.  We also hit a decent amount of rain and wet pavement, which is something I usually avoid.  I got to experience my first time taking mountain curves on wet roads.  This is also the first time I've taken my youngest son (who did awesome) with me for such a long ride.

As we were riding home (after a small break to let my sore butt recover), it occurred to me that the entire day was a close mirror image of what being a writer is.  I am surrounded by truly experienced writers, people whose talent astounds me and drives me to be that good.  We all are working towards that 100 mile goal, writing along slick roads and curves we can't always see beyond.  There are moments of stress, there are energetic moments when we get to look around at what we're doing, and we know the journey is worth all the trouble when we get to the end.  And we will do it again and again, no matter how difficult things get.  We even bring our family members along for the ride as they support what we're doing.

I know it will be a little bit before I climb on the bike to take that kind of ride again (after all, I'm getting too old to do this kind of thing every day LOL), but I do know I will choose to do something like it sometime in the future.  I also know I will continue to work at my writing, climbing aboard for the ride as often as I can.  And with both endeavors, there's a goal to be reached that I will achieve.

What about the rest of you?  Have you made this kind of comparison to the writing you work at so diligently (or visa versa)?


No comments: