A to Z Challenge 2013

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Feeling Particularly Blessed

One of the best aspects of this season is the reminders I get all the time.  The reminders that I lead a blessed life.  For example, yesterday I was driving into work and came upon an accident scene.  A volkswagon bug was literally in flames with the firefighters fervently working to put it out.  Another car was pulled over down the way, the rear end crumpled.  My first thought was to pray that nobody had been inside the vehicle when the flames began.

Situations like that really make me take a moment, pray for those involved, and thank God that I am not in that situation.  Too often we forget how much we really have that isn't damaged, how healthy and safe our loved ones are.  We forget how blessed we are that we don't walk with a cane or that we have a working car to take us back and forth.  We forget how blessed we are to have a roof over our heads and easy access to food and warm clothing.  Though these are simple things, there are a huge number of people in the world who lack even these basic items.  And for those who have never ventured outside of the US, I can tell you from experience that seeing real poverty first-hand has a sobering effect.  It's something you never forget.

I guess the aura of this season makes me think about these kinds of things more often as I wish everyone in the world peace in some form or another.  I hope that somewhere a life is better, even if only for a small moment.  And I continue to pray for those dealing with difficulties, particularly during this time of the year.

This may have come off as one of those chain letters everyone hopes to avoid in email, but I hope everyone takes a moment anyway to be thankful for what they have and pray for those who are not as blessed.  I wish every single one of you peace and contentment, even if it's only for one small moment.

Take a deep breath, revel in a quiet moment, and be thankful for the blessings in your life.  I know I do.

1 comment:

DEZMOND said...

health is always the number one thing for a happy life, but also the number one thing we forget about and take for granted