A to Z Challenge 2013

Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday Food For Thought - Celebrating Authors, Stealin' Links and Bad Writing

Yep, you read that right.  I'm being a thief today.  That's because Michelle McLean has all the links I need to properly celebrate my new favorite author - Shaun Hutchinson.  Her post today is timely, because I just finished reading The Deathday Letter myself last night and I knew I had to talk about it today.  It's just that good.

If you haven't picked up a copy of this book, you're doing yourself a huge disservice.  Shaun captures the tone and character of a 16 year old boy effortlessly.  The book is funny, it's heartwarming, and it should appeal to just about anyone even though it's in the YA genre.  I just can't say enough about this incredible book.  Okay, I better stop here or Shaun's going to worry that I'll start stalking him (which I won't do Shaun, even if a trip to Florida does sound nice).  And here are all the stolen links, may you visit them all (sorry Michelle, heh heh).


The DeathDay Letter

Shaun's Site

Twitter page (yeah, I know I'm not twittering yet, but anyway)

Facebook page (yep, I'm not doing this either, but Shaun is)

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Borders

Powell's Books

Simon & Schuster

Over at Holy Terrors, Michelle Scott linked to an award winning short story written by Kij Johnson.  Being the responsible writer-in-training that I am, I clicked over to read it.  Before you go there, understand that this story is not for the faint of heart.  Nor is it for anyone who is offended even a little bit by certain types of adult subject matter.  What I did learn from this story is what kind of story I know I would NEVER write.  It amazes me though that this thing was given awards.  This is a celebrated and published author, and yet this writing is (at least in my mind) a pile of unadulterated crap.  With lots of cuss words.  And kinky sex themes.  Hmmm, sounds like the crap Hollywood is putting out these days too.  A recurring theme maybe?

This made me stop and think about what stories are being published these days and what stories don't make the cut.  Is the publishing process really that subjective?  Does my writing need to be shocking in order to get awards?  God, I hope not.  I know I don't have it in me to write like that.  How do the rest of you feel about this (particularly for those of you brave enough to go read the story)?

Lastly, I started the story Butterfly's Curse and planned to continue it on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, my mind has imagined so many different ways for the story to go and I haven't decided yet which one is right.  Yes, I'm trying to do some rough plotting so I don't lose everyone.  Long story short, I'm working on the next section and should have it up next Wednesday.  For those of you who enjoyed the beginning, hang tight for me just a little longer.  I will do my best to make the wait worthwhile.

That's all I have for your Friday.  I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and make sure you go pick up The Deathday Letter.   That way you'll have an excuse for why the chores aren't getting done, because you'll be too wrapped up in Shaun's awesome story.

5 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Thanks for these Eric.

jjdebenedictis said...

Yeurk to that short story.

No, I don't think you need to go that route to be successful. Literary writing needs to be challenging but literary writing is also seldom very popular because most people read for entertainment.

That story was challenging, but not entertaining.

Anonymous said...

The Deathday Letter looks so good, and it is on my wish list.

I don't think we have to be shocking. I've enjoyed some "quiet" stories that are unique in their own way, but not alarming.

Unknown said...

I have The Deathday Letters ordered--the premise just hooked me immediately.

...and I promise not to listen to Selena Gomez while reading...or at least not too much ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.