A to Z Challenge 2013

Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Celebrations - Contest Alert!

Since I recently put up my 200th post, it's time to celebrate. And what better way to celebrate than with a contest?

What are the details of this contest? It took me a few days to decide how I wanted to do this, but I've come up with something I think will be really fun. I love reading what others write, so I'd like you to write something for the contest. The topic is a celebration. You can relate a funny story involving a real celebration or you can make up something completely fictional. It can be short or long, any genre. If you don't want to put it into the comments section (because you don't want anyone else reading it), email it to me at estallsworth@comcast.net. Just make sure you put in a comment mentioning that you did that. I will then randomly select a winner.

Just to make this clear, I will NOT be judging the quality of your writing. I just enjoy reading how different people handle the same topic. And I am learning how important it is that we keep writing all the time, so this is a great excuse to motivate you all.

Now, I can hear some of you out there groaning. You don't really want to share your writing, you hate writing exercises, whatever it is. I'm not about to be an ogre, so if you just want to be entered in the contest without being forced to write, that's fine. Just get me a note from your mother (just kidding). All commentors will be included in the drawing regardless of whether they actively participate or not. I'm of course hoping that alot of you WILL write, but I'm not going to require it. This is about fun and celebrating, after all.

The closing date for this contest will be in two weeks on April 30th. That will (hopefully) give everyone plenty of time to write something (if they so desire).

The prize for this contest is awesome. Somehow I have managed to convince the extremely talented Elana Johnson to pony up her services. Whoever wins this contest get their choice of one of the following:

1. A critique of the first 10 pages of a work in progess/final draft/whatever.
2. A critique of your query letter.
3. A free copy of Elana's magnificent e-book From The Query To The Call.

Don't ask how I managed to obtain the prizes from Elana. I offered up my soul, but Elana replied she'd rather have cash. Kidding people, kidding. She was actually okay with a soul contract.

In closing, enjoy the following video. Feel free to dance along in your office/cubicle/living room.

9 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Ha ha ha! Great contest, Eric. I hope you get a lot of people entered. Can't wait to shred, er, critique the winner's stuff! :)

Travis Erwin said...

Cool. I'll try to work something up.

Michelle H. said...

I've already gotten a query critique from Elana (which was great and insightful!) So I'm going to pass on entering the contest for prizes. Of course, that isn't to say I won't write something up right quick to share...

Kudos to you for holding this contest! And kudos for Elana for giving the prizes!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations. And that was nice of Elana.

Michelle H. said...

Okay, I think I have something. I'll be sending it to your email addy soon(way too long to place here.)

B.J. Anderson said...

Woo hoo! Awesome contest. I will definitely get something ready and sent to you. :D

Matthew MacNish said...

Elana is awesome!

Seems like putting a writing piece (even a short) in the comments would be awkward. Or maybe I'm just too long winded.

Suldog said...

Well, since you won't be judging the quality of the writing, I'll give you this poem that I wrote when I was 7 or 8 (and which My Mom, God bless her, dredged up from some old papers she saved and had framed for me on a recent birthday.)

HARRY'S PARTY by James Shawn Sullivan

The party was very nice
But Harry put it on ice
He ate ice cream galore
And threw up on the floor
Harry won't go to that party no more.

Should I win, I'll know for certain it was a random drawing :-)

jjdebenedictis said...

"That was such a great party."

"Yeah, we're glad you liked it. Wow, can you believe it's dawn already?"

"I haven't had that much fun in ages. Like when Emile got his head stuck under the sofa while dancing and lost his toupee? Hilarious!"

"Oh, yeah. He was still grinning about it when he left--what, about two hours ago? Yeah, I think even party boy Emile left two hours ago."

"And the food was excellent!"

"Yup. Too bad it's gone. Aaaaall gone."

"Wow. You know it's a great party when you've got this happy-tired feeling afterward. This sofa is feeling sooooo comfy right now."

"Ah-ha-ha. Wouldn't want Emile's toupee to creep out and attack you while you slept, though. Ah-ha-ha. Wow, look at that sunrise."

"Hey, we should go somewhere we can watch it!"

"Oh... You know. It's pretty cold out there. Don't really feel like it. But you go on, though!"

"Yeah, maybe I will! Anyway, great party, guys."

"Oh, our pleasure. We'll see you soon, okay?"

### click of door ###

"Oh, thank goodness. High five, baby. Now I feel like celebrating."